"Seborga was an ancient feud of the Counts of Ventimiglia. In 954 Count Guido bestowed the castle, the Saint Michael's Church in Ventimigila and the big portion of land to the monks of Lerins.
In 1079 Seborga became a Principality of the Holy Roman Empire.
Saint Bernard of Clairvaux arrived in Seborga in February 1117, to join Gondemar and Rossal whom he had sent for June 1113, in order to protect the "Great Secret." The reigning prince at the time was Prince Abbot Edward, born near Tulon. In September 1118 he ordained the first Knights Templar who formed the famous "Poor Militia of Christ." They were Abbot Gondemar and Rossal, Andre de Montbar, Count Hugues I de Champagne, Hugues de Payns, Payen de Mont Didier, Geoffroy de Saint-Omer, Archambaud de Saint Amand and Geoffroy Bisol. The Principality of Seborga became the first and unique sovereign Cistercian State in history.
All Knights Templar left Seborga in November 1118. Eight arrived in Jerusalem in the morning of May 14th. 1119. Hugues de Champagne joined them six years later on the same day at the same time.
On the first Advent Sunday of 1127 the nine Templars returned from Jerusalem to Seborga. Saint Bernard was waiting for them together with Friar Gerard de Martigues who in 1112 had formed the order of the Knights of Malta. In Seborga in the presence of all the population of 23 Knights and over 100 militias Saint Bernard ordained Hugues de Payns to be the first Grand Master of Saint Bernard Knights. The consecration with the sword was made by Prince Abbot Edward. On that same day a vow of silence was made between Saint Bernard of the Knights and the Great Bishop of the Cathars to safeguard "The Great Secret."
Of the Knights Templar 15 were also Princes of the Cistercian Principality of Seborga. One of them, Guillaume de Chartres, died in Seborga as result of being wounded in the Holy land.
In 1611 the last known vow of silence took place in the presence of father Cesario da San Paolo who also became Grand Master. As a remembrance of this day on every roof of the Principality were placed 13 roof tiles with the incision- number 13 the date 1611, the letters C.S., and the Templar cross.
Seborga remained a Cistercian State until Jan. 20, 1729, when the Principality was sold to Vittorio Amedeo II, of Savoy, Prince of Piedmont and King of Sardinia. But this change was never registered with the kingdom of Sardinia nor the House of Savoy.
Later in 1748 by the Treaty of Aquisgrana the Principality of Seborga was not integrated into the republic of Genoa, neither was it mentioned in the Viennese Congress of 1815 as part of the Kingdom of Sardinia. There is no mention of the Principality of Seborga in the Act of Unification of Italy in 1861. And last but not least the Principality of Seborga has never been considered part of the Italian Republic formed in 1946. "
source and further reading
Other links to Seborga and the Knights Templar (NB: trustworthyness not checked)
It’s an amazing riot of historical kitsch that has visitors to the city craning their necks to take it all in.
source quote and illustration here
The Temple of Zaamslag or Tempelhof was a Commandry of the Knights Templar, located at Zaamslag, a village in the south-west of the Netherlands. It is a very important archaeological site.
The Tempelhof emerged around the thirteenth century, but dating of the stones of the walls indicate an origin from the second half of the 12th century. The Commandry must have been quite large, as it turns out from historical sources. In 1282 the Templars were endowed with lands by Gerard van Maelstede. In 1288 they got another donation.
Usually a Commandry was square to rectangular, surrounded by an earthen shore and a moat. The main building probably had two floors. Like many other Commandries the Temple of Zaamslag also had a chapel.
Near the Temple stood the Hospital of Zaamslag, that was listed in sources from 1310 onwards. Previously, the hospital might be the leper colony of the commandry, approximately 100 metres away. Since the year 2007 an international group of historians and archaeologists investigating the complex der Knights Templar to. A part of the Historical Archaeology Foundation and researchers belongs to the circle around Jan Hosten, VSTH (Association to study of the Knights Templar and Hospitallers).
source text and illustration: wikipedia.org